Mouth Cancer Action Month
In addition to our year-round campaigning on mouth cancer awareness, during November we run Mouth Cancer Action Month - a month-long event which aims to raise awareness of mouth cancer and make a difference by saving thousands of lives through early detection and prevention.
During the campaign we aim to get more mouth cancers diagnosed at an early stage by increasing education of the risk factors and signs and symptoms while encouraging everybody to discuss them with their dental professional.
As long-time campaigners for mouth cancer, everybody at the Oral Health Foundation is passionate and committed increasing awareness of the disease and reducing the number of lives lost to it every year.
Mouth cancer in the United Kingdom
In the UK, more than 7,500 people were diagnosed with mouth cancer last year. The disease has grown by a third in the last decade - and remains one of very few cancers which are predicted to increase further in the coming years - that's why Mouth Cancer Action is so important.
Although there are risk factors heavily linked to the disease, mouth cancer can affect anybody - that's why it's so important that we all know what to look out for. The campaign is all about taking action. Don't leave that ulcer unattended for more than three weeks. Don't ignore that unusual lump or swelling or red and white patches in your mouth. Early detection could save your life.
Mouth cancer takes the lives of more than 2,000 people each year in the UK, which is more than testicular and cervical cancer combined. Mouth cancer also takes more lives a year than road traffic accidents. By knowing more about the risk factors, living healthier lifestyles and by learning what to look out we can help reduce our risk and lower the number of lives that mouth cancer effects.
Mouth Cancer Action remains a focal point for everybody across the country to take action and help spread awareness of the disease. Your support for the campaign continues to grow year-on-year, as does our passion to reduce the number of lives effected by mouth cancer.
Our team uses the campaign as a chance to work closely with oral health educators, health professionals, schools and workplaces, to increase their important work of delivering oral health education, especially in disadvantaged communities and regions of known poor oral health, to deliver better awareness of mouth cancer.
Since we ran the campaign 11 years ago, Mouth Cancer Action Month has helped facilitate thousands of events and projects, and continues to act as the spearhead campaign for providing organised grassroots activities such as oral health checks and free mouth cancer examinations, talks, sponsored events, roadshows, displays, open sessions - all which have the ultimate goal of engaging people in the importance of being aware of mouth cancer.
Please visit www.mouthcancer.org to find out how you can get involved in Mouth Cancer Action Month.
Campaigning for Mouth Cancer Action
In addition to our spearhead campaign in November, as a charity dedicated to mouth cancer action, we are passionate about making a positive difference to the landscape of the disease all year round.
Here's just a small sample of what we have done as part of our campaigning for Mouth Cancer Action over the last few years:
- We have supported more than 4,500 healthcare organisations taking part in the campaign and provided thousands with patient-facing materials and resources to promote mouth cancer awareness.
- We have distributed in excess of 150,000 mouth cancer posters for displays in waiting rooms and practices across the UK, with information about risk factors, early warning signs and symptoms of mouth cancer.
- We have facilitated around 400 specialised mouth cancer events around the UK, which specifically aimed to visually examine those patients at risk of mouth cancer.
- We have directly invested £270,000 into promoting mouth cancer awareness.
- We have supplied dental practices and hospitals with 1,300 Blue Ribbon Appeal Kits, to be displayed in dental practice waiting rooms across the UK.
- More than 250,000 people now wear our Blue Ribbon Badge to actively show their support for mouth cancer action.
- We have been able to increase the profile of mouth cancer in the media agenda. More than 1,000 articles have been published, reaching in excess of 150 million people.
- As a charity looking to make a positive impact in the public arena, we have been able to influence policy regarding smoking, alcohol, diet and gender-neutral HPV vaccinations.
From everybody at the Oral Health Foundation, we would like to say a huge thank you for helping us to raise awareness of mouth cancer - your donations are truly valued and warmly received.
Thanks to your donations we have been able to provide more information and support for children, the elderly and vulnerable, people with special needs and those living in deprivation around the UK, than ever before. As inequalities in oral health continue to grow, and with incidences of mouth cancer on the rise, our role as a leader in oral health education and preventative action becomes ever more crucial.
If you would like to make a donation to Mouth Cancer Action, you can do so by visiting our campaign website at www.mouthcancer.org/donate
Your support really does make a difference
We would like to say a huge thank you to everybody who continue to help us raise awareness of the disease during Mouth Cancer Action - your participation no matter how big or small, is always warmly received and made a huge difference to the campaign's success. Our thanks also go to our sponsors, Denplan and Dentists' Provident, whose contributions ensure we are able to reach the maximum number of people with our messages of education, prevention and early detection.
If you would like to know how to support Mouth Cancer Action Month in 2016 and become one of our campaign partners, please contact Communications Manager at the Oral Health Foundation David Arnold on 01788 539 789 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about 'Our Work': National Smile Month | Dental Buddy | How to support us